If you've ever been a turd polisher- aka salesman, you know that you flirt with that fine line between therapist and mental patient. Everyday. And get paid for it. But you know what's worse than sales? Leasing. That's right, you sell the same thing over and over and over again to someone more effed up than your previous tenant.

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Laundry Day

I'm pretty good at not breaking character. I mean, seriously, there are so many ignorant, illiterate people that's butts graze my chairs on a regular basis that I've literally been trained to maintain my professionalism in the most dire circumstances. Test of my skills numero *1111 happened today. I was touring a nice couple that wanted a 3 bedroom, 1st floor apartment for an immediate move in. Well, I was told that the place would be ready for show by that friday night, so I never thought to follow up Saturday, which was my bad. Anyway, I drive them over there, and they are incredibly picky people. They were the type of people that asked all of the questions that I'm not allowed to answer about safety and demographics. They were the kind I would have to hard sell and then just wash my hands of. OF course they would be the couple that followed me in to 1111.
I get in there and tour as normal. I hear one of the maintenance guys banging around in the bathroom, so I tell them that he's just doing the final touches on the make ready and that the house keeper would be in first thing Monday morning to do the touch up. They don't seem to mind, and if they did, I didn't see the eye contact exchange so I just rolled with it. Then I take them over to the closet with the full sized washer and dryer. And it happened.
I opened the door and there on top of the dryer was a load of the maintenance guys clothes. Not towels or work related equipment, but boxers, tanks, socks, the works. And to garnish it all off, his Tide and fabric softener lay on top. AND the washer AND dryer were both running a full load. Embarassing. So I spit out the fastest lie I could muster. "They have to run an entire load through each machine to make sure they work" Annnd Boom. That's how you do it.-J

No comments:

Post a Comment